I have been to loads and I mean loads of rock concerts . Right from The Rolling Stones to Iron Maiden , from Deep Purple to Agni , from Paul Di Anno to the annual I- Rock . So understandably it was a bit of a shock when I witnessed my first real classical concert , the Sawai Gandharwa music festival , this weekend.
So I couldn’t help but notice some of the differences in Rock and Classical concerts.
1. Its not cool to call a classical concert a ‘gig’.
2. People are more than happy to sit at a classical concert.
3. If an artist is taking a bit of time with his sound check , the crowd does not promptly dive into ” Start the f***ing music ! ” chants.
4. You breathe air at a classical concert , not a mixture of smoke and alcohol fumes.
5. A classical performer will never do a stage dive.
6. You do not end up smoking four passive rounds simply by being present at a classical concert.
7. People keep quiet and listen to the music . They don’t expect the music to be louder than them as is normally seen at a rock concert.
8. Time is nothing . Classical open air performances go on till 4 in the morning and no one complains.
9. Long hair and tattoos are very rare.
10. The drink of choice is tea , not beer.